Monday, September 15, 2008

Where To?

Where To? is a nifty little Application which is aimed to help you
find fast different Points of Interest near you. Are you looking for a near Restaurant? Or do you want to find fast the next car mechanic? This Application helps find it for you.

IMG_0001.PNG


First I was a little bit sceptic about this Application, due the fact that it is optimized for english language which means for the U.S. and GB.

So, I checked using it in France and in Germany to see if it is also working in not native english speaking countries.

For most of the entries searched, I found something, which was a result expected. In fact, the biggest problem in Europe is that most Businesses aren't on Googlemaps so the Application can not find them.


Overall, in 90% of searches I found Businesses near to me (not all due to the lack of Business applying to the Google Business Service) but it was still a great experience. The App is well designed and very functional in what it does.

Some examples of possible searches:

IMG_0002.PNG


IMG_0003.PNG


After selecting what you want to search for (in my testing case Restaurants) you will have the second screen coming up where you can select for example if you want to search near you or near a contact (if you are invited to some friends you can already start looking what's next to them to go out).

IMG_0006.PNG


In my case I chose "Where I Am Now" and after selecting this option, Google Maps opened and showed me the results:

IMG_0007.PNG


Overall, this little Application is well crafted (made by Sophia Teutschler - the same woman making CoverSutra a nifty iTunes Controller for Mac) and sure people might tend to say that they can enter those search words themselves into Google Maps, but I see this Application as nice Front End to Google Maps. It is well made with nice Graphics and I really love the "Surprise Me" function which randomly searches for you (funny results are expected).

It's priced at 2,39 Euro and can be downloaded via the iTunes Store.

I really would like to see more polished Apps like this one in the iTunes Store but sadly there are more and more worthless Apps popping up.

Anyway give this Application a try, it is the most convenient way of searching Points of Interest available on the iPhone.

No comments: